Pike’s Peek 2017 – Runner Instructions
Welcome to the 2017 Pike’s Peek 10K and Kids Fun Run, presented by the Montgomery County Road Runners! We are looking forward to a great race day. Please help make the race an enjoyable and safe experience for everyone by reading these runner instructions. Many details are also found on our website.
PACKET PICK UP
Saturday, April 22, 10:00am – 6:00pm
RnJ Sports – 11910-R Parklawn Drive, Rockville, MD 20852
When you park at RnJ, come up the stairs and look up your bib number posted on the wall outside the store before entering the store for packet pick up.
Sunday, April 23, 6:30am – 7:30am
At the race start area – the Metro East Parking lot adjacent to Redland Road and the starting line.
- Bib numbers can also be found on our website. Looking this up ahead of time will save time and help the lines move quickly.
- This year we’ve done away with the shoe tag timing ships that needed to be tied to your shoe! We will have chips attached to your bib, so please take care with your bib when you pick it up.
- YES, you can pick up a packet for someone else. Look up their bib number to make the process go quickly.
We will still be starting on Redland Road, just east of the intersection with Sommerville Drive near the Shady Grove Metro Station. IMPORTANT: After 5:00am, you will not be able to use Redland Road to get to the start line. You must use the Shady Grove Extension or Route 370 to enter the Shady Grove East Parking lots.
PARKING AT THE START
The largest lot is the EAST Metro parking lot. You can park in the open lots or parking garages.
CAN I RIDE METRO TO THE START?
NO! Metro will open at 7:00am, which is likely too late to make it to the start of the race by 7:50am. You can park at the start and ride Metro back to your car after you finish.
You can find Bag Check Instructions to drop your items at the start for transport to the finish area. Please review them before race morning. Bag check will open at 6:30am. This year we are suggesting that you use a bag of your choice for your belongings to keep the process moving, but we’d love it if you labeled this bag before race day.
The start time is 7:50am – sharp!
We’re going to have a rolling start this year rather than a wave start, but we’ll still have fantastic pacers to help you reach your goal time.
WHAT DO I DO AT THE START?
If you have not already picked up your packet at RnJ on Saturday, pick it up as soon as you arrive at the starting area. Pin your bib number to the front of your clothing.
WHAT HAPPENS IF IT RAINS?
The race will happen rain or shine! Raining on race day? Just think of how sweet the finish will be knowing you stuck it out in tough conditions.
DURING THE RACE
1. Absolutely NO strollers, baby joggers, skates, pets, or headphones are permitted on the course. This is a safety precaution.
2. You must run inside the cones at ALL times.
3. If you have a medical problem or see another runner with a problem, notify a race official as quickly as possible. There are lots of course marshals, police and Hamm radio operators along the course.
4. You must maintain at least a 14 minute-per-mile pace and stay ahead of the trucks picking up the cones. If you fall behind this pace, you will be directed by the course marshals to continue your running on the sidewalk while obeying all routine pedestrian laws.
5. Thank a volunteer and the police – their efforts made this race possible.
WHAT DO I DO AT THE FINISH?
1. Smile for the camera!
2. Be sure to pick up your finisher item – a set of headphones – after crossing the finish line. They will only be available race day for race finishers, not spectators. Then clear the finish corral quickly to ensure the safety of other runners.
3. Enjoy the Finish Festival with great food from Whole Foods and Mamma Lucia, and be sure to visit with all of our sponsors.
4. Cheer for the kids in the Fun Run beginning at 9:30am!
HOW DO I GET BACK TO MY CAR AT SHADY GROVE?
Your best bet is to take the METRO train back to the Shady Grove station. Remember to bring money or your Metro card with you. You can buy a farecard at any Metro station. White Flint Metro is just up the street from the finish line.
SPECTATOR PARKING AT THE FINISH AREA
There will be plenty of spectator parking at the finish area in the White Flint Metro parking garage. The parking garage entrance is on Citadel Ave. You will only be able to enter the parking garage from Old Georgetown Road to Citadel Ave. Marinelli Road will be closed to traffic.
KIDS FUN RUN PRESENTED BY GEICO
We’re excited for the Pike’s Peek Kids Fun Run presented by GEICO, which will consist of the 50-meter Toddler Trot and the 1K Run. Check-in will be on Marinelli Road, near the finish line. If you did not pick up your bib or need to register, look for the check in table – the registration will close at 9:20am sharp.
The Kids Run will finish down the Pike’s Peek Finisher Chute this year!
The 50 Meter will start near the Finish Line. The 1K Kids Run will begin in the courtyard of the NRC (Nuclear Regulatory Commission). This is just up the hill from the Finish Line – walk up the hill towards Rockville Pike. Before Rockville Pike, on your left will be a beautiful courtyard where we will begin the run, and it will end down the Finish Chute this year! We are guests of NRC, so we would appreciate it if you would follow the instructions and do not enter areas we have blocked off.
SHOE AND CLOTHING RECYCLING
The MCRRC Green Team will be collecting any used shoes for recycling and donation at RnJ on Saturday, April 22. If you have used shoes, please consider donating them during the Pike’s Peek shoe drive by dropping them off at the tent in the parking lot.
Warmup clothing left at the starting line will be recycled/donated.
In addition, the Green Team will be recycling paper and plastic products on race day – look for bins at the start and finish and try to dispose of these items in the recycling bin rather than trash.
We are still in need of volunteers for race day! There are jobs open that you can do even if you’re running the race. Please spread the word to your friends and family: http://pikespeek10k.org/volunteer/
Please follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/PikesPeek10K and hashtag your social media posts about the race with #pikespeek10K on race day!
Enjoy the race!