Montgomery County Road Runners Club

Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting

Meeting of November 4, 2004

 

Called to order: 7:04

Present: Jean Arthur, Marty Horan, Gary Resnick, Christina Kichula, Bill Riggs, Craig Roodenburg, Cathy Blessing, Jim Rich, Janet Newburgh

 

Invited Guests:  Debbie Mellman, Alan Borst

 

Minutes Prepared By:  Gary Resnick, Secretary 

 

  1. Review Agenda
    1. Jean has some announcements
    2. Jean adds Volunteer Gift under New Business
    3. Craig adds Equipment Purchase Request
  2. Review Current MCRRC Calendar
    1. Nov. 7, Halloween Young Run (HYR)
    2. Nov. 14, Marathon in the Parks
    3. Nov. 21, Little Bennett Race
    4. Nov. 27, Turkey Burnoff
  3. Minutes of the previous board meeting
    1. Motion to Accept Minutes: Marty moves,  Bill seconds, unanimous
  4. Business involving invited guests
    1. Back of the Pack shirt proposal to help identify BOPers at workouts and races
      1. BOP has runs every Monday, Wednesday and Sundays, and many other runs, geared towards runners slower than 10 min/mile. In the BOP the paces vary but no one gets left behind
      2. The group has done little advertising and there is not a lot known about the group, mainly runners get information via the Listserv and there was a recent story in the Rundown which increased awareness
      3. There is no budget for BOP group, requesting Board to buy 15 shirts who will be "ambassadors" for the BOP group
      4. There are six BOP'ers who lead runs, suggestion was just to give t-shirts to those who volunteer and for others to pay for them
      5. This is consistent with the club goals to encourage volunteerism
      6. Those who pay for the shirts are thereby willing to serve as ambassadors for the program
      7. Debbie will talk with Bob at R&J about the cost of shirts
      8. Suggestion is also that BOP members should be polled as to whether they want to buy a shirt
      9. MOTION: The Board approves the concept of purchasing a moderate quantity of shirts for labeling and sale to BOP group members and that key volunteers within the group will be provided the shirts at no cost; Craig moves, Bill seconds, unanimous
      10. ACTION ITEM: Jean will forward info from Debbie
  5. Treasurer’s Report
    1. The total cash in MCRRC accounts, as of October 31 (not including Marathon in the Parks, Pike’s Peek, and HYR accounts) was the following:
      1. Checking                         $26,728.35
      2. Savings                           $25,596.06
      3. Savings — Clubhouse        $3,445.66
      4. Merrill Lynch                  $31,236.86 (as of September 30, 2004)
      5. TOTAL Bank Accounts               $87,006.93
    2. Marathon in the Parks Bank Accounts:   (as of October 31, 2004)
      1. Checking                         $25,361.49
      2. Savings                           $1,408.26
      3. TOTAL MITP Bank Accounts               $26,769.75
    3. Pikes Peek Bank Accounts    (as of October 31, 2004)
      1. Checking                         $5,517.67
      2. Savings                           $1,395.02
      3. TOTAL PP Bank Accounts                $6,912.69
    4. Halloween Young Run Bank Accounts (as of October 31, 2004)
      1. Checking                         $11,729.91
      2. TOTAL HYR Bank Accounts               $11,729.91
    5. October Financial Information:
      1. The October financial statements indicate a net loss of $557.91 but will show a net profit of $2,200.09 after deposit in the amount of $2,758.00 has been recorded (waiting for allocation from Mary Foster). 
      2. Significant income was received from:
        • Membership Dues $3,505.00
        • RMS $2,212.18
        • Twilight 8k $7,386.00
      3. Significant expenses included:
        • First Time Marathoners Program (brunch, seminar space, T-shirts) $4,644.15
        • Postage ($1,500 to permit) $1,737.65
        • General/Administrative (Brochures, thank you notes) $1,513.89
        • Team Programs $1,035.00
        • Post-Marathon Party $2,843.10
      4. Old Financial Action Items
        1. Need to reopen sales & use tax account to pay tax on book sales through the club.  Need to gain a better understanding of how these sales are being conducted/recorded: In process.
        2. Merrill Lynch Account Issue: to earn higher interest for the club’s money
          • Bill checked with Nicholas Serenyi, a long-term club member and certified financial advisor, who suggested a money market account or a CD that rolls over
          • Jim looked at bankrate.com for comparison rates on 12-month CD's
          • Question: what is the minimum deposit required to open an account at Legg Mason?
          • ACTION: Bill will ask Nicholas Serenyi about account minimums, interest rate "bump-ups" for CD’s, higher interest rates for higher amounts, penalties for CD, and that there are no other fees
          • ACTION ITEM: Christina will check with Merrill Lynch on what they can do for us regarding fees and interest rates, and will check the interest rate for the Bank of America savings account
        3. Draft 2005 budget: A draft proposed budget was distributed (See Old Business)
      5. New Financial Action Items: None
      6. MOTION: To accept Treasurer's report from October because it was not available at the October meeting (due to Christina’s injury); Christina moved, Bill seconds, unanimous
      7. MOTION: To accept Nov. 4 Treasurer's report; Christina moved, Bill seconds, unanimous.
    6. Apportionment/ Committee Reports
      1. Jean presented financial report from the MCM Hospitality Suite
        1. The cost to the club was $2,029 after expenses and income, while $2500 was budgeted.
    7. Old Business
      1. Discussion of Draft 2005 Budget; After a line by line review of the first draft of the budget, which projected a shortfall, the following changes to the draft budget were agreed upon by the Board:
        1. Add income line for Rockville 10/5k, with proposed $3,000
        2. Speed Development Program income is in the proposed ’05 budget and should be kept as is
        3. Also Jean was asked by Smarter Running for approval to charge participants, with the specific fee to be determined by the program directors. In the meantime to account for these fees in the budget, we should add $500 to the income line for Smarter Running
        4. Expect higher dues as a result of the expected merger between AARC and RRCA
        5. Also add an income line for Stride Clinic fees, estimated at $1,600 for next year (based on new fee paying system, and the expected number of enrollees per month for 12 months)
        6. Increase expected income from RMS by about $2,000 to $9,000 (plus $4,000 for cones which totals $13,000)
        7. Mailing list rental for this year will be above estimates by about $1500, so this amount should be added to the 2005 budget
        8. Change negative income for Women's Distance Festival to $-100 (there is no corresponding expense category so this is net)
        9. Running book income currently is negative since there is no corresponding expense line, but we made $500 online from a half year, there is still inventory, and we expect that sales will improve next year
        10. Equipment Storage fees should be dropped to $10,000
        11. New equipment expense line should stay as is for now because there is money unspent from this year’s budget that can applied for new equipment purchases next year
        12. Equipment consumables expense should be increased to $600
        13. Decrease club meeting expenses to $200
        14. $1500 projected for brochure, included in publicity/PR expenses as well as other PR activities
        15. FTM expense this year will come in at around $5,000 (party, coaches gifts)
        16. Expense for club training programs should stay at $2,200
        17. Club race program covers all low key races, but should be reduced to $2,500
        18. Rundown costs; Christina Caravoulias is looking at ways to cut costs, we should reduce Rundown costs to $36,000
        19. Recognition programs; includes volunteer gifts, keep as is
        20. Young Runs expense reduced to $500
        21. MCM room came in this year at $2,029 net cost, suggest dropping to $2,200
        22. Community outreach program includes donation for Montgomery College Track, reduce to $2,000
        23. Reduce General Administrative expenses by $500
        24. After making these changes the revised budget achieved a zero net income balance
      2. Review Action Items from October board meeting:
        1. Equipment Needs — Start/Finish Line Truss
          • Craig passed out specs on a new truss (Finish Line)
          • Craig talked with Applied Electronics of Newport News, VA
          • He ran this by some of the key club members knowledgeable about trusses
          • The existing Trusses are not considered useable
          • Estimate for Truss: $1,839
          • Suggestion this should be part of list for this year's equipment
          • ACTION ITEM: Janet will contact people from MCM on a start/finish inflatable banner
        2. Laptop and Printer Equipment Needs: Marty did some research at IBM and reported a cost of $750 for the laptop and $400 for a laser printer, complete
        3. Sound System and Clock Equipment Needs: Janet did some research and gave the information to Jean, to be added to the list of upcoming equipment purchases
        4. Hand Truck Equipment Need: Craig found one on the internet, sent an email to Board members, but it is a hand cart, Craig will continue to review additional carts, in progress
        5. Time Machine Equipment Need: Janet checked with Bill Morrison and he feels we can use another time machine
          • ACTION ITEM: Janet will find cost of a new time machine and give it to Jean who will add to Equipment List
        6. Stride Clinic: Gary investigated an online payment and booking system using SignmeUpSports (the club already has an account with them for race registration). The cost to participants would be $18 flat fee. There is still an issue regarding cancellations and rescheduling. The clinic will do a dry run of the system for Dec participants (they won't have to pay). There is a need to publicize the new payment and scheduling system as soon as possible
        7. Coaching Update: Gary has not gotten to this yet
        8. CPR/AED Responder Leader Update: still outstanding, Jim is still working on finding a medical doctor who can serve as the club’s medical supervisor.
        9. Club Brochure: Input provided to Mary, draft brochure will be given to board
        10. Clydesdale: raised at Pike's Peek meeting and tabled for further discussion
        11. Policy Guidelines from prior minutes: Gary is still working on the guidelines for Board members
        12. Woods Academy: Jean is working on the letter and will have Mary to send it out (with club book)
        13. RMS Clinic: interest in training more people to work on RMS
          • ACTION ITEM: Jim will talk with Phil about ways to increase training and recruitment
        14. New Business
          1. Jean said that Hal asked her to ask the Board about doing socks for the volunteer gift; Board agreed to go with something else other than socks
        15. Announcements
          1. Registrations for HYR are up this year to 2,800 children
          2. ARC and RRCA will likely be merging by the end of the year, so we should expect to pay higher fees due to the higher cost of insurance
          3. Received a thank you note for ARC dues
          4. Jean announced next CPR class will be Dec. 4, location TBD
        16. Closure
          1. Review Action Items:
            1. Back of the Pack Running Group: Jean will forward to Board members information from Debbie about the cost of t-shirts
            2. Merrill Lynch Account: Bill will ask Nicholas about account minimums, interest rate "bump-ups" for CD’s, higher interest rates for higher amounts, penalties for CD, and that there are no other fees
            3. Merrill Lynch Account: Christina will check with Merrill Lynch on what they can do for us regarding fees and interest rates, and will check the interest rate for the Bank of America savings account
            4. Equipment Needs: Janet will find cost of a new time machine and give the estimate to Jean who will add it to the equipment list
            5. Equipment Needs: Janet will contact people from MCM on a start/finish inflatable banner
            6. RMS Clinic for training members: Jim will talk with Phil about ways to increase training and recruitment
          2. Motions Passed
            1. Back of the Pack Running Group: The Board approves the concept of purchasing a moderate quantity of shirts for labeling and sale to BOP group members and that key volunteers within the group will be provided the shirts at no cost; Craig moves, Bill seconds, unanimous
        17. Next Meeting: Dec. 2, 2004, 6:30 pm at 101 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, 6th Floor conference room. Gary will bring food.

         

        Meeting adjourned at 10:09 pm

         

         

         

        Gary Resnick

        Secretary, Montgomery County Road Runners Club