Montgomery County Road Runners Club
Minutes of Board Of Directors Meeting
Meeting of March 4, 2004


Called to order: 7:02 PM

Present: Jean Arthur, Jodi Finkelstein, Marty Horan, Corinne Moriatis, Gary Resnick (taking minutes at this meeting), Jim Rich, Bill Riggs, Craig Roodenburg

 

Invited Guests: Terry Adirim, John Sissala, Jim Starr, Christina Caravoulias, Steve Mann, Mary Kuta, Cathy Blessing

 

A.       Review Agenda

1.    Add RRCA State Rep Support to New Business

2.    under invited guests add Nominating Committee

 

B.       Review Current MCRRC Calendar

1.    Upcoming Club Meeting at Piece of Cake Race March 20

2.    Greenway Marathon Trail Race

3.    Frozen Slopes Cross Country on March 13

 

C.       Minutes

1.    Revised minutes of the regular board meeting on February 5, 2004, were approved.

 

D.       Business Involving Invited Guests

1.    Member Database

i.           Christine Caravoulias discussed the state of the club membership database, listing problems and giving suggestions for updating the list. Corrections cost the club (from post office) a lot of money. Bob Price offered to help out to update the database, working with Mary, but still having problems, causing additional copies of the Rundown to be printed. There is a need to do something systematic about improving the database rather than just a patchwork of fixes. Possible solutions:

       more training for Mary (she is interested but timing is not good),

       Bob would administer the database in the short term, appending information from Mary,

       get a consultant to fix the system once and for all, assess the club's needs, design a single system covering all of the club's data needs (e.g., volunteer database, etc.) and producing generalized reports.

ii.          The Board asked Christine and Bob to: a) research the club database needs, b) involve other key club members/coordinators to assist in this assessment, c) pay a consultant to redesign a new club database, then d) provide training for Mary to use the database.

2.    Coaching Certification Issue

i.           Terry Adirim along with Mary Kuta and Jim Starr presented the issue to the board.

ii.          In brief, approximately 8 club members who took the March 2001 course and completed the first phase (ASEP test) within the prescribed time deadline, but did not know they had a deadline for the phase 2 test. The deadline passed and these members did not submit the test (since they were not told about the exact deadline). Now these members want to complete the certification.

iii.        They request the Board intervene on their behalf, with the RRCA (Patti Finke), to obtain certification. Suggestion: for the group to take the "new" test, with Patti Finke doing the grading. Jean said she will approach the RRCA incoming president to ask for this solution. Gary offered to assist in intervening with Patti Finke as needed.

 

E.        Nominating Committee Report

1.    John is pleased to present the new slate for the next Board; includes six incumbents who are willing to serve again

2.    Slate is as follows:

i.           President: Jean Arthur (incumbent)

ii.          Vice-President Marty Horan (incumbent)

iii.        Secretary Gary Resnick (incumbent)

iv.        Treasurer Christina Kichula

v.         Member-at-Large Cathy Blessing

vi.        Member-at-Large Janet Newburgh

vii.      Member-at-Large Jim Rich (incumbent)

viii.     Member-at-Large Craig Roodenburg (incumbent)

ix.        Member-at-Large Bill Riggs (incumbent)

3.    The slate will be presented to the membership at the annual meeting on March 20, 2004, and the Nominating Committee will make the membership aware of the slate through available club communication channels

 

F.        Apportionment/Committee Reports

1.    Coaches Meeting Report

i.           Bill Riggs summarized a meeting held among club coaches, to discuss common issues and coordination of the varioius club coaching programs

ii.          at this meeting, two vacancies for club coaching programs were announced:

       Kay Morrison is stepping down as the Head Coach of the Beginning Women's Running program at the end of this year's program,

       Amy Ackerberg-Hastings is stepping down as coach of the Coed Beginning Running Program and there is a need for a new coach for the upcoming program in July

iii.        Bill and Gary asked for suggestions of potential individuals, please make them aware of people who might be interested

iv.        the coaches program discussed the various programs and the distinctions between the programs, including costs to club members, program characteristics, and volunteer commitments for those enrolled in the programs

v.         regarding volunteer commitments, all coaches agreed that all program participants be required to volunteer, and that this be clearly asked of participants

vi.        another issue raised was whether to charge for the Stride Clinic. The rationale was that it would give the Clinic some freedom to operate the program, and also that participants would see the value of the program. The recommended fee was $20.

vii.      Gary suggested taking this issue to the Stride Clinic staff and to determine whether they recommend charging a fee

2.    Piece of Cake/Annual Meeting

i.           Jean will provide a cake as part of the cake competition

ii.          Bill volunteered to bring plates, cups, etc.

iii.        Craig volunteered to provide the ice cream

iv.        the Board discussed other meeting preparations, including room setup

3.    Park Cleanup Coordinator

i.           Vassili has volunteered to be the coordinator

ii.          the coordinator will serve to meet the club's obligation to provide one day of cleanup of Rock Creek Park

4.    Volunteer Picnic

i.           June 20 is the date and it will be held at the same place as last year, Bohrer Park in Gaithersburg

ii.          a club member has offered to provide square dancing as a new activity (in addition to the other usual activities at the picnic)

 

G.       Unfinished Business

1.    Track and Lights Follow-Up

i.           Jodi updated the Board on the changes in fees on the track situation and lights

ii.          the club will contribute when asked, suggested amount by the City was $1000

iii.        Motion: the club contribute $500 for lights at Richard Montgomery or a comparable track, taking into consideration an increase for the next year (Jodi moved, Bill seconded)

2.    State Rep for RRCA/AARC

i.           the State Rep requires money to operate, including assisting with races, with funds coming from the various running clubs

ii.          RRCA state meeting recommended that each club contribute 50 cents per member

iii.        Christina Caravoulias summarized the meeting, describing how the funds are to be used (mailings, women's distance festival, awards, etc.)

iv.        Motion (Jean): the club will give $300 to the State RRCA for this year

 

H.       Treasurer's Report

1.    Account Detail (as of February 29, 2004)

i.           Checking Account: $19,312.33

ii.          Savings Account: $15,510.23

iii.        Merrill Lynch Account: $21,334.40

2.    Marathon in the Parks

i.           no information available at time of the report

3.    Pikes Peek

i.           information not available at time of the report

4.    February Financial Information

i.           The February financial statements indicate that we spent more than we took in.  This is fairly typical for the income and expense activities at this time of year.  We had some significant outlays including $1500 for replenishment of the postal account, $1015 for team registration for the Howard County Striders race, $4162 for The Rundown, and $1414 for disbursement of proceeds from Halloween Young Run

5.    Reserve Fund Deposit

i.           Prior to the transition to the new Treasurer, Corinne will send a check for $10,000 to the Merrill Lynch account

 

I.          New Business

1.    Clubhouse

i.           Jim raised the issue as to whether it is realistic to expect the club to obtain a clubhouse

ii.          Jean said that the amount budgeted was based on an assessment of the market for space at that time

iii.        the Board generally supported working towards getting a clubhouse

2.    RRCA and AARC Conventions

i.           RRCA convention is Lake Tahoe May 12-16

ii.          AARC doesn't have an annual meeting but it has a one day business meeting on May 22 in Philadelphia, last year John Sissala attended

iii.        the Board recommended that Craig go to the AARC business meeting on May 22 as the official club representative

iv.        the Board did not propose sending a representative to the RRCA Convention

 

J.         Announcements

1.    Carl Stitz sent a letter thanking the club for the fruit basket

2.    Potomac Community Resources thanked the club for being included in the Coed Beginning Running program

3.    Frank Pierce has resigned as club historian. Marina Tarrico will be taking over

4.    John Sissala will be working with Fourth Presbyterian School in Potomac on setting up a cross-country course for them and then the club having access for club races

5.    Bill said that he plans to organize a Race Director's clinic, he will send out information via email

 

K.       Closure

1.    Reviewed action items:

i.           Member Database Improvement Effort

       Christine and Bob will: a) research the club database needs, b) involve other key club members/coordinators to assist in this assessment, c) pay a consultant to redesign a new club database, then d) provide training for Mary to use the database

ii.          Coaching Certification Issue

       Jean will approach the RRCA incoming president to propose the solution suggested by our members. Gary offered to assist in intervening with Patti Finke as needed

iii.        Coaching Programs

       Gary will present the issue of fees to the Stride Clinic staff and ask for recommendation to the Board

iv.        Treasurer

       Outgoing treasurer (Corinne) will send a check for $10,000 to the Merrill Lynch account

v.         Craig will go to the AARC business meeting on May 22 as the official club representative

vi.        Motions Passed:

       The club contribute $500 for lights at Richard Montgomery or a comparable track, taking into consideration an increase for the next year

       The club will give $300 to the State RRCA for this year

2.    The next meeting is April 1, 2004, at 6:30 PM at 101 Maryland Avenue, Rockville. Jean will order the food.

3.    The Board thanked the hard work of those members who will be leaving this year, Jodi, Corinne and Anna.

4.    Meeting adjourned at 9:35 PM.