Called to order: 7:00 pmPresent: Jean Arthur, Marty Horan, Christina Kichula, Bill Riggs, Craig Roodenburg, Cathy Blessing, Janet NewburghInvited Guests: NoneMinutes Prepared by: Bill RiggsA. Review AgendaB. Review Current MCRRC Calendar1. Vassili Triantos is heading up trail cleanup.2. The Firebirds Mile is on Thursday, May 15th (note: this date was in error and was corrected at the next Board meeting – see May minutes). Marty handed out copies of the updated website information which included the schedule of events.3. Pike’s Peek is scheduled for Sunday, may 25th (note: this date was also in error and was corrected at the next Board meeting – see May minutes). Janet said we still need volunteers, especially course marshals.4. The Hills of Cabin John cross country race is scheduled for Saturday, May 1st.C. Minutes of the Previous Board Meeting1. Skipped until May meeting; no one had the minutes from the last meeting.D. Business Involving Invited Guest1. None. There were no invited guests.E. Treasurer's Report1. Net income for March is reported as $7,594.83.2. Major income items include:a) Marathon in the Parks $7000.00b) Membership dues $4277.50c) First Time Marathon Program $2000.00d) Speed Development Program $3050.003. Major Expense Items included:a) Club Clothing $1332.31b) Running Book $744.04c) MCM Room $3000.00d) Team Programs $840.004. There was a discrepancy between the files maintained from the previous month and the current month.5. ACTION ITEM: Christina will check with Corinne to try to figure out what happened to the files.6. ACTION ITEM: Christina will get signature cards signed/completed from the new officers to the bank.7. The treasurer’s report was approved unanimously
F. Apportionment/Committee Reports1. Arlington/Potomac River Marathon: After a short discussion, it was agreed that the Board did not feel the need to take any additional actions on this item.2. Firebirds Mile: Marty is the co-race director of the race on April 15th. The race had 85 runners last year. Would like to have double that number this year. Got a $250 check for giving trophies to the kids, who very much enjoyed getting recycled trophies from last year. An Event Schedule is posted under the link on the MCRRC website3. Junior Participation Series: Nobody is in charge of this series has been at any races.a) The decision was made to look for new program coordinators for the series. Either that or we’ll have to train the club race directors handle Junior Participation at their races.b) Suggestion: We will try to find “regulars” (or their parents) who would be willing to help administer the series.4. Middle School Track Challenge: The club was asked to continue to support this event. MOTION: The Board voted unanimously to give $300.00 as a sign of support.5. Beginning Women’s Running Program: ACTION ITEM: Cathy Blessing agreed to go on behalf of the Board and give a speech welcome the Beginning Women’s Running Program.G. Unfinished Business1. Membership Brochure: It was brought to the Board’s attention that we are out of tri-fold membership brochures. ACTION ITEM: Marty volunteered to contact Richard Stukey to update the membership brochures and get a batch printed for use at Pike’s Peek and other MCRRC events.2. Club Clothing: George Tarrico had a conversation with R&J Sports about having merchandise embroidered with MCRRC names and logos. Jean is meeting with R&J at some point to further discuss the possibilities.H. New Business1. Summer Running Programs: Need program director for coed running program. The Board discussed the content and structure of the programs and supports the actions of the summer running program leaders2. Team Participation: ACTION ITEM: Jean and Bill will talk to the team people about thoughts.3. Race Director’s Clinic: Discussion was made of the location of the last club race director’s manual and the status made, if any, to update it.4. AED Responders: Discussion was raised about the training of AED responders and the posting of instructions so the responders could refresh their memories on the operation of the device. It was agreed to have the instructions on the website and in the race director’s box so the AED responders can review the operating instructions prior to the race.
I. Announcements1. Devin Liddy proposed having some sort of yoga program within the club. Devin will be invited to come up with a more detailed proposal and present it to the Board for consideration.J. Closure1. Reviewed Action Items:a) Christina will check with Corinne to try to figure out what happened to the files.b) Christina will get signature cards signed/completed from the new officers to the bank.c) Cathy Blessing agreed to go on behalf of the Board and give a speech welcome the Beginning Women’s Running Program.d) Marty volunteered to contact Richard Stukey to update the membership brochures and get a batch printed for use at Pike’s Peek and other MCRRC events.e) Team Participation: Jean and Bill will talk to the team people about how to increase club member participation.2. Motions Passed:a) Middle School Track Challenge: The Board voted unanimously to give $300.00 as a sign of support.b) It was agreed to have the instructions on the website and in the race director’s box so the AED responders can review the operating instructions prior to the race.3. Next Board Meeting: The next meeting will be May 6, 2004, at 6:30 PM at 101 Maryland Avenue, Rockville (note: subsequently the meeting date was changed to accommodate Board members’ schedules, and the May Board meeting was held April 29, 2004).Minutes were approved April 29, 2004 (May Board Meeting)
Gary ResnickSecretary, Montgomery County Road Runners Club