Montgomery County Road Runners Club

Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting

Meeting of July 3, 2008 

Called to order: 7:05 pm 

Present:  Cathy Blessing (President), Sethiya Renwick (Vice President), Mical Honigfort (Secretary), Jean Arthur (Member at Large), Susan Debad (Member at Large), Jim Farkas (Member at Large), Leonard Lee (Member at Large), Craig Roodenburg (Member at Large) 

Minutes Prepared By:  Mical Honigfort, Secretary 

  1. Review Agenda
    1. Nothing added or changed
  2. Business involving guests
    1. Susan Mapes- Petition to end violence against elite runners in the Rift Valley
      1. Susan thanked the board for allowing her to run the petition; she collected 140 signatures at a handful of events.
      2. Susan circulated a letter to be sent to a number of elected officials and asked the board to approve a letter and submit copies of petition to elected officials.
    2. John Sissala-  Clubhouse and USATF XC Championship
      1. Southlawn buildout-  stairs are to be built soon, combination lock will be installed on office door, electrical and phone line to be done soon.
      2. We need some additional equipment for the office (potentially cabinets, tables, shelves).
      3. Regarding liability insurance, John verified that we are covered under RRCA policy for activities at the clubhouse (a certificate will be sent to landlord).  John offered to check on cost for insurance of our equipment.
      4. USATF XC Championship- the race committee had its first meeting
  3. Club Administrator Report
    1. We need to resolve the credit card situation; Susan needs a card as soon as possible.  ACTION ITEM:  Cathy will talk to Chris about the status of getting new credit card.
    2. Insurance- Susan has been talking to Phil Quinn to get an idea of how much insurance we need on our equipment (the club probably owns about $75,000 of equipment to insure)
    3. Student Service Learning hours-  Susan will be responsible for updating the county’s website with our volunteer opportunities.
  4. Review MCRRC Calendar
    1. Midsummer Night’s Mile, Friday, July 11, 7:00pm, Rockville
    2. Rockville Rotary Twilight 8K, Saturday, July 19, 8:45pm, Rockville
    3. Riley’s Rumble Half Marathon, Sunday, July 27, 7:00am, Poolesville
  5. Minutes of the Previous Meeting (business between meetings)
    1. Susan moves to accept minutes. Jean seconds, unanimous.
  6. Treasurer’s Report
    1. Chris was absent and circulated the profit and loss and the Treasurer’s Report after the meeting. 
    2. The total cash in MCRRC accounts, as of June 30, 2008 (not including Parks Half Marathon, Pike’s Peek, and DYR accounts) was the following:
      1. Checking (9223) $57,392.42 
      2. Savings (6828) $16,183.35
      3. Smith Barney $ 23,104.37
      4. Total Bank Accounts  $96,680.14
      5. Other Assets (CDs)  $55,000.00
        • Includes $10,000 Clubhouse CD at NASA FCU and $45,000 CDs at Smith Barney
    3. Parks Half Marathon Bank Accounts  (as of June 30, 2008)
      1.  Checking   $15,696.95
      2.  Savings   $2,360.06
      3. Total Bank Accounts      $18,057.01
    4. Pike’s Peek Bank Account  (as of June 30, 2008) 
      1. Checking    $34,479.29
      2. Total Bank Accounts $34,479.29
    5. DYR Bank Account (as of June 30, 2008)
      1.  Checking   $12,437.37
      2.        Total Bank Accounts                         $12,437.37
    6. June Financial Information
      1. Significant income was received from:
        • Membership dues $6,845
        • RMS income $5,700
        • Best Foot Forward $5,940
    7. Motion to accept Treasurer’s Report (via email after the meeting):  Mical moves, Susan seconds, passed unanimously.
  7. Unfinished Business (action and in-progress items from previous meetings)
    1. Review action items/open issues from prior Board meeting:
      1. Billing club races for use of timing system (0806-8a):  Craig will discuss the timing costs for the Parks Half Marathon with Mike Acuna, and then talk with RMS about the billing for club races
        • We are looking at a structure of a base fee and a $3/chip charge for races.  For RMS, the costs will be similar to what we paid for timing in the past. 
        • Craig worked out an introductory rate for Rockville 10k/5k so they can afford to use the chip system this year; the cost will increase for them next year. 
      2. Training on IPICO (0806-8b)
        • Phil Quinn indicated he could train people on RunScore and IPICO.  ACTION ITEM:  Sethiya will talk to Phil about setting a date for RunScore and IPICO training.
      3. Fall track locations and lights for Rockville Community Night Out (0806-8d)
        • Craig talked to Chuck Miller and they expect Wootton HS track to be ready for the fall. 
      4. AED coordinator (0806-8f)
        • Rachel Miller is going to take over as AED Coordinator.
        • Christina Kichula is going to send the documents she has worked on to Rachel.
      5. Run Aware in club races (0806-8g)
        • RDs have the discretion to enforce the rule and disqualify runners who were wearing headphones during a club race.  The RD would have to provide a list of runners to Bill Morrison after the race.
        • Bill has agreed to remove people from the results if the RD chooses.
    2.   Review in-progress items from prior meetings:
      1. Club credit cards (0712-6e-i)- Chris to research the issue and is to provide options
        • The board discussed some of the items we would like to include in a credit card use policy.
        • ACTION ITEM:  Cathy will talk to Chris about drafting a policy.  Craig will work on an RMS policy for the renting our equipment.
      2. Cathy is going to pursue a coordinator for organizing groups of volunteers for programs and projects (0804)- in progress
      3. Criteria for lending club equipment (0711-7e)- Craig will draft criteria for lending of club equipment- in progress
      4. Strategic Plan - Club Program Reports (0703-7a)-  Sethiya will continue working on requirements for the club program reports
        • The board discussed gifts and race entries for pace group coaches of various programs;  there is a need for consistency among the programs.
        • We would like to compile a list of the gifts/race entries each program is providing as well as other spending by the programs.
        • We would also like to get copies of schedules for all of the training programs as part of the club program reports, in an effort to compile/maintain club records.
      5. IPICO and RMS (0804-7a)
        • Craig talked to RMS coordinators and we will be receiving a copy of their fee structure soon; we reiterated that we do support RMS having their own budget
        • ACTION ITEM:  Craig will talk to Phil Quinn and convey that we agree that RMS should have their own account (conditional on receipt of a budget showing projected income and purchases), and will invite him to the next board meeting. 
      6. Wanda Walters program liaison position (0804-8b)- completed
      7. Volunteer picnic wrap-up (0804-8c)
        • Cabin John was a good location; the picnic went well.
        • The board discussed how to better capture all volunteers for the invitation mailing list.
      8. Volunteer program/project coordinators (0805)- in progress
  8. New Business
    1. Furnishing clubhouse meeting room/computers
      1. Need space to be flexible; not trying to set up an office
      2. Craig will talk to John Sissala about equipment needs.
      3. ACTION ITEM:  Craig will talk to equipment managers to find out equipment needs and inventory.
    2. Fleet Feet Gaithersburg – working with the club
      1. Fleet Feet asked about having a member night for club member discounts.
      2. The board discussed whether the club would support a member night at the area running stores (and offer the opportunity to all the local running stores).  In the past, we have turned down offers from stores to host an MCRRC member night. 
      3. The board proposed sending a letter to all the local stores and offering dates to host a club member night, and if they are interested they are invited to provide their proposal for what they would offer for an MCRRC member night.
      4. ACTION ITEM:  Susan will draft a letter for sending out to the local stores.
    3. Holiday party
      1. ACTION ITEM:  Jim will contact Michelle McGleish to see if she will organize the party again.
    4. Kenyan petition
      1. The board agreed that the letter should focus on assisting the athletes as opposed to a broader political issue. We are not donating money to any associated causes at this time.
    5. New Stride Clinic shirts
      1. The Stride Clinic requested 140 stride clinic shirts at $16.50; total cost to club is $577.50.  The board agrees with this purchase. MOTION:  Cathy moved to purchase 140 stride clinic shirts, Jim seconds, unanimous.
  9. Standing Items
    1. Strategic Plan – Compiling/updating governance policies
    2. Strategic Plan – Increasing participation and volunteerism
  10. Business Between Meetings
    1. Approved the June minutes
    2. Approved the July Treasurer’s Report
  11. Announcements
    1. The Pacers running store was looking to tie their Twilighter Run to ours.  Craig suggested the idea of them sponsoring something for the participants of the Rockville Triple Race Series in 2009. 
  12. Closure
    1. Action items:
      1. Cathy will talk to Chris about the status of getting new credit card.
      2. Sethiya will talk to Phil Quinn about setting a date for RunScore and IPICO training.
      3. Cathy will talk to Chris about drafting a credit card use policy. 
      4. Craig will work on an RMS policy for the renting our equipment.
      5. Craig will talk to Phil Quinn about RMS financial issues, and will invite him to the next board meeting. 
      6. Craig will talk to equipment managers to find out equipment needs and inventory.
      7. Susan will draft a letter about hosting MCRRC member night for sending out to the local stores.
      8. Jim will contact Michelle McGleish to see if she will organize the Holiday party again.
    2. Motions passed:
      1. The board approved the purchase of stride clinic shirts.
    3. Review Plans for Next Meeting
      1. Next meeting is August 7, 2008 at 6:30 pm at the Stella Werner Council Office Bldg, 5th Floor Conference Room, 100 Maryland Ave.  Jim offered to bring food.

Meeting adjourned: 9:45 pm 

Respectfully submitted,

Your browser may not support display of this image.

Mical Honigfort