Montgomery County Road Runners Club

Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting

Meeting of June 5, 2008 

Called to order: 7:05 pm 

Present:  Cathy Blessing (President), Sethiya Renwick (Vice President), Mical Honigfort (Secretary), Jean Arthur (Member at Large), Susan Debad (Member at Large), Jim Farkas (Member at Large), Leonard Lee (Member at Large), Craig Roodenburg (Member at Large) 

Minutes Prepared By:  Mical Honigfort, Secretary 

  1. Review Agenda
    1. Nothing added or changed
  2. Business involving guests
    1. Susan Mapes- Petition to end violence against elite runners in the Rift Valley
      1. Susan passed around a recent article from the May 2008 Runner’s World about the Rift Valley and the runners from that part of the world being targeted by violence
      2. Susan proposed that the club sponsor a petition through both MCRRC and RRCA to bring attention to the problems and raise the issue to a higher level
      3. A suggestion was made to raise awareness of the issue within the club (via discussion groups); to possibly obtain permission to copy the article from Runner’s World to distribute at events and there is potential for a possible Rundown article on the topic
      4. The board supports having a petition available to sign at the volunteer picnic and other low-key races
      5. Jim will publicize the petition and the issue in the next Ins and Outs newsletter
    2. Joel Carrier- USATF XC Championship Race
      1. Joel circulated copies of the Marriott contract for the hotel rooms to be held for the event; 80% of the rooms that we hold must be booked.  The board agrees that the club should go ahead and sign the contracts to hold the rooms. 
      2. Joel passed around a ‘tracking sheet’ template to keep track of budget, personnel, issues, etc. 
      3. There will be an event (probably 4 races) on the course on Nov. 15; a nominal fee will be charged and the event may be held in conjunction with Brooks-Pacers.
  3. Club Administrator Report
    1. Susan has been working on updating and correcting the database, which has numerous errors such as many expired memberships.
    2. Susan found out that we need to purchase some equipment for the AED (pediatric pads and a hard sided case).  MOTION:  Craig moved to purchase these items, Jim seconds, unanimous.
  4. Review MCRRC Calendar
    1. Gaithersburg XC 5k- June 6, 7pm, Gaithersburg
    2. Run for Roses 5k- June 21, 8am, Wheaton
    3. Volunteer picnic- June 14, 1pm, Rockville
  5. Minutes of the Previous Meeting (business between meetings)
    1. Susan moves to accept minutes.  Jim seconds, unanimous
  6. Treasurer’s Report
    1. Chris was absent and circulated the profit and loss and the Treasurer’s Report after the meeting. 
    2. The total cash in MCRRC accounts, as of May 31, 2008 (not including Parks Half Marathon, Pike’s Peek, and DYR accounts) was the following:
      1. Checking (9223) $44,105.20 
      2. Savings (6828) $16,173.41
      3. Smith Barney $22,942.74
      4. Total Bank Accounts  $83,221.35
      5. Other Assets (CDs)  $55,000.00
        • Includes $10,000 Clubhouse CD at NASA FCU and $45,000 CDs at Smith Barney
    3. Parks Half Marathon Bank Accounts  (as of May 31, 2008)
      1.  Checking   $2,083.48
      2.  Savings   $2,360.06
      3. Total Bank Accounts      $4,443.54
    4. Pike’s Peek Bank Account  (as of May 31, 2008) 
      1. Checking    $28,241.12
      2. Total Bank Accounts $28,241.12
    5. DYR Bank Account (as of May 31, 2008)
      1.  Checking   $10,306.95
      2.        Total Bank Accounts                         $10,306.95
    6. May Financial Information
      1. Significant individual items: 
        • Purchase of timing system necessitated a $35,000 transfer from reserves; system was paid in full by the end of May
      2. Significant income was received from:
        • FTM registration fees $15,000
        • Membership renewals $6,925  
    7. Motion to accept Treasurer’s Report (via email after the meeting):  Mical moves, Susan seconds, passed unanimously.
  7. Unfinished Business (action items from previous meetings)
    1. Review action items/open issues from prior Board meeting:
      1. IPICO and RMS (0804-7a-i):  Susan will work with Phil to purchase the system; Craig will discuss the future of RMS after the purchase of the IPICO system with Phil and other involved members
        • We have purchased the IPICO system
        • Craig is continuing to discuss the issues of RMS with the key personnel
      2. Sethiya will contact Wanda Walters about the duties she is currently performing (0804-8b):  Wanda can help with the programs as needed by the programs; we are unable to categorize her duties
      3. Volunteer picnic (0804-8c):  Discussed board responsibilities for the picnic
      4. New website change of address form (0805-3a): completed
      5. Hats for volunteer gifts (0805-8b):  Mical will contact Kimberly and let her know that we are not going to order the hats- completed
      6. Clubhouse buildout (0804-2a):  Jean will email John Sissala to update him that the board agrees with proceeding- completed
        • John Sissala reported via email that the buildout is almost done and that the room looks great.
    2.   Review in-progress items from prior meetings:
      1. Craig will respond to MetroSports on the issue of low-key races (0804-8a):  Craig is going to decline the offer to distribute their product at low-key races-  completed
      2. Club credit cards (0712-6e-i)- Chris explained that all card users will sign a ‘terms of use’ statement in order to have a club credit card- in progress
      3. Cathy is going to pursue a coordinator for organizing groups of volunteers for programs and projects (0804)- in progress
      4. Criteria for lending club equipment (0711-7e)- Craig will draft criteria for lending of club equipment- in progress
      5. Strategic Plan - Club Program Reports (0703-7a)-  Sethiya will continue working on requirements for the club program reports- in progress
  8. New Business
    1. Billing club races for use of IPICO system
      1. The details still need to be worked out as far as the ‘per chip’ charge races will be charged.  ACTION ITEM:  As a start, Craig will discuss the timing costs for the Parks Half Marathon with Mike Acuna, and then talk with RMS about the billing for club races.
    2. Training on IPICO system
      1. The board agrees that we should pay for a training day from IPAX personnel as soon as feasible.  ACTION ITEM:  Sethiya will contact IPAX about training issues (i.e. when they can come, what they will do at the training).
    3. Rockville Booster Club at Midsummer Night’s Mile
      1. The Booster Club would like to come out to sell refreshments for Midsummer Night’s Mile, pending recruitment of their membership to volunteer.  We will tell them we are happy to have them come out.
    4. Fall track locations and lights
      1. Wootton HS track may not be available in September due to construction.  For Wednesday night track, we need to find out what the city of Rockville is planning for “Community Night Out” of which we are a part .  ACTION ITEM:  Craig will check on this. 
      2. We  need a track location for the Coed 5k/10k and walking programs on Tuesday nights.  The board agrees that we will pay for lights at Rockville HS for Tuesday nights as needed for the programs, and will advertise the track is available for use by any club member.   
    5. Marriott rooms contract-  completed (see item 2b above)
    6. AED-  Cathy is in the process of touching base with Christina on the progress she made on the AED program.  ACTION ITEM:  Jean will contact Christina. 
    7. Run Aware in club races-  ACTION ITEM:  Jean to talk to Bill Morrison about enforcing the headphone ban at club races. 
  9. Standing Items
    1. Strategic Plan – Compiling/updating governance policies -  a draft is in progress. 
    2. Strategic Plan – Increasing participation and volunteerism
  10. Business Between Meetings
    1. Approved the May meeting minutes
    2. Approved the May Treasurer’s Report
    3. Donation to charity for Kids on the Run
  11. Announcements- none
  12. Closure
    1. Action items:
      1. Craig will discuss the timing costs for the Parks Half with Mike Acuna
      2. Sethiya will contact IPAX for information on training on the IPICO timing system.
      3. Craig will check on the location of Wednesday night track for the fall.
      4. Jean will contact Christina to obtain any work she has done on the AED program.
      5. Jean will discuss with Bill Morrison the issue of enforcing the headphone ban at club races.
    2. Motions passed:
      1. The board approved purchasing the needed items for the AED.
    3. Review Plans for Next Meeting
      1. Next meeting is July 3, 2008 at 6:30 pm at the Stella Werner Council Office Bldg, 5th Floor Conference Room, 100 Maryland Ave.  Mical offered to bring food.

Meeting adjourned: 9:45 pm 

Respectfully submitted,

Your browser may not support display of this image.

Mical Honigfort