Montgomery County Road Runners Club

Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting

Meeting of May 1, 2008 

Called to order: 7:05 pm 

Present:  Cathy Blessing (President), Sethiya Renwick (Vice President), Chris Richey (Treasurer), Mical Honigfort (Secretary), Jean Arthur (Member at Large), Susan Debad (Member at Large), Jim Farkas (Member at Large), Leonard Lee (Member at Large), Craig Roodenburg (Member at Large) 

Minutes Prepared By:  Mical Honigfort, Secretary 

  1. Review Agenda
    1. Added items 7(b)(iii) and 8(c) and (d)
  2. Business involving guests
    1. None
  3. Club Administrator Report
    1. Susan recommended highlighting the new address change form on the website; she will talk to Arya about that and Jim will put a note about the new form in the Ins and Outs email. 
  4. Review MCRRC Calendar
    1. Hills of Cabin John XC 5k- May 4, 8am, Potomac
    2. Bethesda Trolley 5M- May 10, 8am, Bethesda
    3. Kids on the Run- May 17, 8:30am, Gaithersburg
    4. Sue and Connie’s Run 5k- May 26, 8am, Rockville
    5. Capital Crescent 5k- June 1, 7:30am, Bethesda
  5. Minutes of the Previous Meeting (business between meetings)
    1. Craig moves to accept minutes.  Jim seconds, 7 in favor, 2 abstentions
  6. Treasurer’s Report
    1. Chris presented the profit and loss and circulated the Treasurer’s Report after the meeting. 
    2. The total cash in MCRRC accounts, as of April 30, 2008 (not including Parks Half Marathon, Pike’s Peek, and DYR accounts) was the following:
      1. Checking (9223) $27,694.64 
      2. Savings (6828) $16,116.84
      3. Smith Barney $27,543.15
      4. Total Bank Accounts  $71,354.63
      5. Other Assets (CDs)  $75,000.00
    3. Parks Half Marathon Bank Accounts  (as of April, 30, 2008)
      1.  Checking   $2,083.48
      2.  Savings   $2,360.06
      3. Total Bank Accounts      $4,443.54
    4. Pike’s Peek Bank Account  (as of April 30, 2008) 
      1. Checking    $12,274.78
      2. Total Bank Accounts $12,274.78
    5. DYR Bank Account (as of April 30, 2008)
      1.  Checking   $10,306.95
      2.        Total Bank Accounts                         $10,306.95
    6. May Financial Information
      1. Significant income individual items:
        • Membership dues income $5,700.00
        • The RMS current position is (-)$2,670 due to advance checks being issued to Race Coordinators for spring RMS events.  Revenue will be received over the next several months.
        • $10,000 CD matured on April 18.  The funds are to be applied toward the new timing system. 
    7. Motion to accept Treasurer’s Report (via email after the meeting):  Mical moves, Susan seconds, passed unanimously.
  7. Unfinished Business (action items from previous meetings)
    1. Review Action Items from prior Board meeting:
      1. IPICO and RMS (0804-7a-i)
        • Prior to the meeting, Phil Quinn presented a proposal of the IPICO equipment to purchase.  The board agreed to purchase the IPICO equipment outlined (transponder tags, reader systems, readers) for a cost of $34,000.  ACTION ITEM:  Susan, working with Phil, will coordinate the purchase of the system.  We have $25,000 in hand now and will have the balance on May 18. 
        • The board is interested in working with the RMS team to come to a mutual agreement of a system for managing RMS that will work for the board and for RMS coordinators.  We would like to work to give RMS greater control of their budget and management.  ACTION ITEM:  Craig will discuss the future of RMS after the purchase of the IPICO system with Phil and other involved members. 
      2. Craig will respond to MetroSports on the issue of low-key races (0804-8a)
        • Craig is waiting for Rockville Rotary to decide on using MetroSports bags; he will respond after he hears from the Rotary. 
      3. Cathy will talk to Wanda Walters about being a training program liaison (0804-8b)
        • ACTION ITEM:  Sethiya will contact Wanda about the duties she is currently performing. 
      4. Cathy will talk to Jean about picnic details (0804-8c)
        • The picnic is on June 15 at Cabin John.  We plan to have alcohol as park regulations allow; Jean will check on the license
        • Jim and Leonard will get the drinks, tableware, and snacks from Costco
        • Mical will print the invitations; Susan will get the mailing labels to Mical
        • Craig will bring equipment from the shed
        • We will have an informal trail run prior to the picnic
      5. Team events (0804-8d):  Craig will draft a letter to the National Marathon concerning their awards policy; Cathy will talk to Angelo Witten and ask him to have team coordinators review team rules for future races
        • The National Marathon changed their policy on the team awards so a letter does not need to be written- completed
        • Cathy spoke to Angelo- completed
      6. Cathy is going to pursue a coordinator for organizing groups of volunteers for programs and projects- in progress
    2.   Review in-progress items from prior meetings:
      1. Club credit cards (0712-6e-i)- Chris explained that all card users will sign a ‘terms of use’ statement in order to have a club credit card- in progress
      2. Criteria for lending club equipment (0711-7e)- draft criteria for lending of club equipment; Craig is going to take this over
      3. Strategic Plan - Club Program Reports (0703-7a)-  Christina will continue working on requirements for the club program reports
        • Cathy passed out Christina’s draft; Sethiya will take this over
      4. Presentation to Covance Wellness-  Jim reported that the talk went very well and a few people were recruited into Beginning Women’s Running.  We would be interested in presenting to other businesses if there was interest.
      5. Clubhouse build-out (0804-2a)-  The board agrees to go ahead with the clubhouse build-out, which will start around June 1.  Bobby Srour will invoice us when the build-out is complete.  Jean will email John Sissala to update him that the board agrees with moving forward.
  8. New Business
    1. Green Team (0508-8a)
      1. The Green Team would be a group of volunteers that would lead ‘green’ initiatives for the club.  Examples are:  shoe recycling, trash pickup along trails, water bottle recycling.  Cathy proposed forming a committee to take this on and the board agreed with the idea.
    2. Hats for volunteer gift (0508-8b)
      1. Kimberly Price had offered to order hats for the club volunteer gift, as part of a larger order for Parks Half and the DARCARS Young Run.  ACTION ITEM:  Mical will contact Kimberly and let her know that we are not going to go with the hats for the volunteer gift since they are very similar to the hats that will be given out at DARCARS Young Run and the Parks Half Marathon; we will revisit volunteer gifts in the fall
    3. AED coordinator (0508-8c)
      1. Christina Kichula (current AED coordinator) is currently compiling a list of volunteers certified to use the AED.  We will revisit this topic later this summer because we will need a new coordinator.
    4. Donation to RRCA Roads Scholar (0508-8d)
      1. The board discussed donating to the RRCA Roads Scholar Program as we have done in the past.  MOTION:  Craig moved to make a $500 donation to RRCA Roads Scholar Program, Jean seconds, unanimous. 
  9. Standing Items
    1. Strategic Plan – Compiling/updating governance policies -  Mical is working on compiling policy decisions from old meeting minutes and so far has a draft back to 2004. 
    2. Strategic Plan – Increasing participation and volunteerism -  See Green Team discussion.
  10. Business Between Meetings
    1. Approved the DC-area Ragnar Relay as a team event
    2. Approved $300 donation to Middle School Track Challenge.  Cathy will present the check next Tuesday. 
    3. Approved the April meeting minutes
  11. Announcements
    1. Steve Goldman is seeking permission from the Parks to repaint the trail marks on Rock Creek Trail
    2. Christina Kichula (our AED coordinator and former board member) is moving out of the area in June.
  12. Closure
    1. Action items:
      1. Susan will work with Phil Quinn to order the IPICO timing system.
      2. Craig will talk to Phil Quinn about issues regarding RMS.
      3. Sethiya will contact Wanda Walters about the duties she is currently performing.
      4. Mical will talk to Kimberly Price about hats as volunteer gifts.
    2. Motions passed:
      1. The board approved a $500 donation to the RRCA Roads Scholar Program.
    3. Review Plans for Next Meeting
      1. Next meeting is June 5, 2008 at 6:30 pm at the Stella Werner Council Office Bldg, 5th Floor Conference Room, 100 Maryland Ave.  Jean offered to bring food.

Meeting adjourned: 9:45 pm 

Respectfully submitted,

Your browser may not support display of this image.

Mical Honigfort