Montgomery County Road Runners Club

Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting

Meeting of November 1, 2007 

Called to order: 7:10 pm 

Present:  Craig Roodenburg (President), Cathy Blessing (Vice President), Chris Richey (Treasurer), Mical Honigfort (Secretary), Jean Arthur (Member at Large), Jim Farkas (Member at Large), Christina Kichula (Member at Large), Gary Resnick (Member at Large) 

Invited guests:  Joel Carrier, Kimberly Price 

Minutes Prepared By:  Mical Honigfort, Secretary 

  1. Review Agenda
    1. Added items 7(d) and 7(e) under new business
  2. Business involving guests
    1. Kimberly Price- DARCARS Young Run wrap-up
      1. This year’s race was the largest DYR ever- over 2800 kids participated
      2. Next year is the 20th anniversary and Kimberly proposed having a festival at the end for the kids, long-sleeved shirts, and another finisher premium.
      3. She also proposed to recognize the schools with the most participation through the years, possibly with a donation to their PE programs.
      4. Kimberly is stepping down as race director after next year’s race.
    2. Joel Carrier- USATF XC Championship bid
      1. Joel is close to finalizing the bid and hopes to submit it by Nov. 15.
      2. He reported on feedback from Derwood (Little Bennett’s) XC race
  3. Review MCRRC Calendar
    1. Sunday, November 4, 8:30 am – Rockville 5k/10k, Rockville
    2. Saturday, November 10, 9:00 am – Candy Cane City 5k, Chevy Chase
    3. Saturday, November 24, 10:00 am – Turkey Burnoff 5M, 10M, Gaithersburg
    4. Saturday, December 1, 9:00 am – Frozen Slopes 6k XC, Gaithersburg
    5. Saturday, December 1, 7:00 pm – Holiday Party, Gaithersburg
    6. Saturday, December 8, 8:00 am – Clubhouse Open House (fun run followed by brunch)
  4. Minutes of the Previous Meeting
    1. Jim moves to accept minutes as corrected. Gary seconds, passed unanimously.
  5. Treasurer’s Report
    1. The total cash in MCRRC accounts, as of October 31, 2007 (not including Parks Half Marathon, Pike’s Peek, and DYR accounts) was the following:
      1. Checking (9223) $ 94,952.41 
      2. Savings (6828) $ 10,230.46
      3. Savings – Clubhouse (7652) $ 5,863.36
      4. Smith Barney $ 9,947.41
      5. Total Bank Accounts  $120,993.65
      6. Other Assets (CDs)  $ 55,000.00
    2. Parks Half Marathon Bank Accounts  (as of October 31, 2007)
      1.  Checking   $ 26,880.67
      2.  Savings   $ 2,360.06
      3. Total Bank Accounts       $ 29,240.73
    3. Pike’s Peek Bank Account  (as of October 4, 2007) 
      1. Checking $ 13,474.15
      2. Total Bank Accounts                        $ 13,474.15
    4. DYR Bank Account (as of October 31, 2007)
      1.  Checking   $ 5,212.54
      2.        Total Bank Accounts                        $ 5,212.54
    5. October Financial Information
      1. Significant income was received from:
        • RMS $10,436.00                      
        • Twilighter $10,333.00
        • Parks Half Marathon $19,058.52
    6. Motion to accept Treasurer’s Report: Jean moves, Christina seconds, passed unanimously.
  6. Unfinished Business (action items from previous meeting)
    1. 2008 race schedule (0710-7a) – in progress
    2. Candidates for club administrator position (0708-7a):  Jim and Chris are wrapping up the interviews.  A decision will be made between meetings.
    3. Office administrator duties in the interim (0708-7a):  The Board discussed sharing the duties in the interim (mail- Jean; checks- Chris and Jean; voicemail- Jim; email- Craig and Mical; truck rentals and permits- George Tarrico).
    4. Open House/Fun Run (0710-7d): Jim will publicize on mc-info.
    5. Financial (0702-5f):  Chris will close clubhouse account and put money into higher paying “Clubhouse” CD- in progress
    6. MCRRC Bumper Sticker (0709-7b): Cathy is working on the pricing- in progress
    7. Strategic Plan - Compiling/updating governance policies (0612-8b):  Gary will scan the compilation of old club policies by Don Carter when he was club Secretary, from 1987 to 1991, received from John Sissala, to a CD-ROM – Gary will bring the documents for scanning and box of minutes to a future meeting.
    8. Strategic Plan - Club Program Reports (0703-7a): Christina and Cathy (taking over from Gary) will put together the requirements for these reports and will provide this information to the program heads.
    9. Training Programs (0703-7a):  Chris (taking over from Gary) will contact training program heads for lists of expenses and income for their programs.
    10. RMS purchases and future requirements (0709-7a):  Christina contacted Lyman Jordan about setting up a meeting between the Board and RMS.
  7. New Business
    1. Budget (0711-7a)
      1. The Board discussed the draft budget.  Chris will finalize the budget and make it available to the membership prior to the Annual Budget Meeting.
    2. Contributions to RRCA for Grand Prix and Women’s Distance Festival (0711-7b)
      1. MOTION:  Cathy moved that the club contribute $200 for the WDF and $100 for Grand Prix, Jim seconded, unanimous.
    3. JFK support (0711-7c)
      1. The Board approved $150 to buy supplies to support the club runners at the JFK 50 mile run.
    4. Lending items to Girls on the Run (0711-7d)
      1. The Board agreed to lend a clock and vests to Girls on the Run.
    5. Criteria for lending club equipment (0711-7e)
      1. The Board discussed policies for lending club equipment. 
      2. ACTION ITEM:  Christina will draft criteria for the lending of club equipment. 
  8. Standing Items
    1. Strategic Plan – Clubhouse research/fundraising
    2. Strategic Plan – Compiling/updating governance policies
    3. Strategic Plan – Increasing participation and volunteerism
  9. Business Between Meetings
    1. Awards Party- Party is set for February 10, 2008 at the Hilton Rockville.  The price for members will remain at $20/person.  Mical is organizing the party.
  10. Announcements - none
  11. Closure
    1. Motions passed:
      1. The board approved contributions to RRCA of $200 for the WDF and $100 for Grand Prix.
    2. Action items:
      1. Christina will draft and circulate criteria for the lending of club equipment.
    3. Review Plans for Next Meeting
      1. Next meeting is December 6, 2007 at 6:30 pm at the Stella Werner Council Office Bldg, 5th Floor Conference Room, 100 Maryland Ave.  Chris offered to bring food.

Meeting adjourned: 10:35 pm 

Respectfully submitted, 

Your browser may not support display of this image.

Mical Honigfort