Montgomery County Road Runners Club

Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting

Meeting of September 6, 2007 

Called to order: 7:05 pm 

Present:  Craig Roodenburg (President), Cathy Blessing (Vice President), Chris Richey (Treasurer), Mical Honigfort (Secretary), Jean Arthur (Member at Large), Jim Farkas (Member at Large), Sethiya Renwick (Member at Large), Gary Resnick (Member at Large) 

Invited guests:  Joel Carrier 

Minutes Prepared By:  Mical Honigfort, Secretary 

  1. Review Agenda
    1. Added invited guest
  2. Business involving guests
    1. Joel Carrier
      1. Discussed progress on bid for USATF XC championships (roles and sponsorships)
      2. Discussed need to establish course record at October 14, 2007 club XC race
  3. Review MCRRC Calendar
    1. Sunday, September 9, 9 am – Cabin Johns Kids Runs, Potomac
    2. Sunday, September 16, 7 am – Parks Half Marathon, Bethesda
    3. Sunday, September 22, 8:30 am – Seneca Creek (formerly Lake Needwood) XC, Gaithersburg
  4. Minutes of the Previous Meeting
    1. Cathy moves to accept minutes. Jean seconds, passed unanimously.
  5. Treasurer’s Report
    1. The total cash in MCRRC accounts, as of August 31, 2007 (not including Parks Half Marathon, Pike’s Peek, and DYR accounts) was the following:
      1. Checking (9223) $ 69,237.41 
      2. Savings (6828) $ 10,218.39
      3. Savings – Clubhouse (7652) $ 5,860.43
      4. Smith Barney $ 39,696.77
      5. Total Bank Accounts  $ 125.008.00
      6. Other Assets (CDs)  $ 25,000.00
    2. Parks Half Marathon Bank Accounts  (as of June 2007)
      1.  Checking   $ 1,205.58
      2.  Savings   $ 2,364.32
      3. Total Bank Accounts       $ 3,569.90
    3. Pikes Peek Bank Account  (as of June 2007) 
      1. Checking $ 66,977.15
      2. Total Bank Accounts                        $ 66,977.15
    4. DYR Bank Account (as of February 2007)
      1.  Checking   $ 9,217.13
      2.        Total Bank Accounts                        $ 9,217.13
    5. August Financial Information
      1. Significant income was received from:
        • Membership                                                    $ 1,030.00
        • Race Management Services                           $ 1,633.00
        • Experienced Marathon Program                     $ 9,250.00
      2. Significant expenses included:
        • July Rundown Printing                                  $4,055.48            
        • Half Marathon Training Program                  $2,048.40
    6. Motion to accept Treasurer’s Report: Gary moves, Sethiya seconds, passed unanimously.
  6. Unfinished Business (action items from previous meeting)
    1. Gaithersburg HS Lights for BFF Program (0708-7c)
      1. Wanda Walters negotiated reduced fee of $150 per hour for use of Gaithersburg HS.  Lights will be needed for seven evenings in September and October (total of $1050).
      2. MOTION:  Jean moves that we authorize $1050 for the lights and advertise that the lights will be on for club use.  Cathy seconds, unanimous. 
    2. Club Administrator (0708-7a)
      1. ACTION ITEM:  Jim will post a note about the open club administrator position, including the list of duties, on mc-info asking for expressions of interest for the position.
    3. Financial (0702-5f):  Chris will close clubhouse account and put money into higher paying “Clubhouse” CD- in progress
    4. Gaithersburg HS track lights (0610-7b): Cathy will try to find someone who would like to take on the role of Tuesday night track coordinator- in progress
    5. RRCA Eastern Region Championships Bid (0612-7b):  Jean will talk with Mike Acuna about bringing the possibility of a bid to Parks Half Marathon- in progress
    6. Strategic Plan - Increasing participation and volunteerism (0612-8c):  Jim will talk with Christina Caravoulias about the status of the volunteer task list- in progress
    7. Strategic Plan - Compiling/updating governance policies (0612-8b):  Gary will scan the compilation of old club policies by Don Carter when he was club Secretary, from 1987 to 1991, received from John Sissala, to a CD-ROM - in progress
    8. Strategic Plan - Club Program Reports (0703-7a): Gary (taking over from Cathy), as training program coordinator, will put together the requirements for these reports and will provide this information to the program heads- in progress
      1. ACTION ITEM: Gary will contact program heads for reports as well as lists of expenses and income for their programs.
    9. Using Yahoo groups for Board communications (0707-6a)
      1. ACTION ITEM: Jim will set up Yahoo group for current board members.
    10. Discussion of Rundown and Intervals (0707-6b)- in progress
    11. Run Aware Policy (0708-2a)
      1. The board discussed draft policy.
      2. ACTION ITEM:  Gary will incorporate suggestions and circulate.
  7. New Business
    1. RMS purchases and future requirements (0709-7a)- in progress
    2. MCRRC Bumper Sticker (0709-7b)
      1. Cathy got quotes for stickers and will research cost for vinyl clings; we will discuss distribution of stickers
  8. Standing Items
    1. Strategic Plan – Clubhouse research/fundraising
    2. Strategic Plan – Compiling/updating governance policies
    3. Strategic Plan – Increasing participation and volunteerism
  9. Business Between Meetings
    1. The board agreed to Linda MacDermid’s new fee structure for the MCM Hospitality Suite.
    2. The board approved a $350 donation to the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue as a thank you for their assistance at Riley’s Rumble.
  10. Announcements – Craig read a thank you card from Arlene Solbeck.
  11. Closure
    1. Motions passed:
      1. The board approved paying $1050 for track lights at Gaithersburg HS for the BFF program in September and October.
    2. Action items:
      1. Jim will post a note about the open club administrator position on mc-info asking for expressions of interest.
      2. Gary will contact program heads for reports as well as lists of expenses and income for their training programs.
      3. Jim will set up Yahoo group for current board members.
      4. Gary will incorporate suggestions and circulate the Run Aware policy.
    3. Review Plans for Next Meeting
      1. Next meeting is October 4, 2007 at 6:30 pm at the Stella Werner Council Office Bldg, 6th Floor Conference Room, 100 Maryland Ave. Cathy offered to bring food.

Meeting adjourned: 10:10 pm 

Respectfully submitted, 

Your browser may not support display of this image.

Mical Honigfort