Montgomery County Road Runners Club

Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting

Meeting of May 3, 2007 

Called to order:   7:00 pm 

Present:  Craig Roodenburg (President), Cathy Blessing (Vice-President), Chris Richey (Treasurer), Mical Honigfort (Secretary), Jean Arthur (Member at Large), Christina Kichula (Member at Large), Sethiya Renwick (Member at Large) 

Invited Guest:  Joel Carrier 

Minutes Prepared By:  Mical Honigfort, Secretary 

  1. Review Agenda
    1. Nothing added or changed
  2. Business Involving Invited Guests
    1. Joel Carrier - Possible bid to host future USATF XC championship event
      1. Presentation to update board on possible bid
      2. Exploratory committee has been meeting and hopes to have recommendation soon
      3. The board asked Joel to generate an estimate of the volunteer resources the event would require
  3. Review MCRRC Calendar
    1. Saturday 5/5, 8:00 AM, Hills of Cabin John 5k XC
    2. Saturday 5/12, 8:00 AM, Bethesda Trolley 5M
    3. Saturday 5/19, 8:30 AM, Kids on the Run
    4. Monday 5/28, 8:00 AM, Sue and Connie’s Run 4M
  4. Minutes of the Previous Meeting
    1. Cathy moves to accept minutes. Chris seconds, passed unanimously.
  5. Treasurer’s Report
    1. The total cash in MCRRC accounts, as of April 30, 2007 (not including Parks Half Marathon, Pike’s Peek, and DYR accounts) was the following:
      1. Checking (9223) $ 32,752.03 
      2. Savings (6828) $ 10,179.04
      3. Savings – Clubhouse (7652) $ 5,854.52
      4. Smith Barney $ 20,448.43
      5. Total Bank Accounts  $ 69,234.02
      6. Other Assets (CDs)  $ 43,000.00
    2. Parks Half Marathon Bank Accounts  (as of December 2006)
      1.  Checking   $5967.99
      2.  Savings   $2354.93
      3. Total Bank Accounts     $8322.92
    3. Pikes Peek Bank Account 
      1. Checking $78,857.67
      2. Total Bank Accounts                      $ 78,857.67
    4. DYR Bank Account (as of February 2007)
      1.  Checking   $9217.13
      2. Total Bank Accounts                        $9217.13
    5. March Financial Information
      1. Significant income was received from:
        • Membership $ 3,305.00
        • First Time Marathon $ 1,801.00
      2. Significant expenses included:
        • New Clubhouse- deposit and first month rent $ 2,500.00
    6. Motion to accept Treasurer’s Report: Jean moves, Sethiya seconds, passed unanimously.
  6. Unfinished Business (action items from previous meeting)
    1. Storage Space (0704-2a):  Sethiya will get together with John Sissala to discuss the signing of the lease, the build out of the office space, and the possibilities and cost for wet-room facility-  lease is signed, design for build-out in progress
      1. Sethiya passed out  a report from John Sissala on status of new storage space
    2. Storage Space (0704-2a):  Sethiya will ask Lyman Jordan to notify Tri-Mini that we will terminate our lease effective June 30- in progress
    3. Bank forms (0704-5g):  Officers need to get their bank forms notarized and returned to Chris- completed
    4. Financial (0702-5f):  Chris will close clubhouse account and put money into higher paying “Clubhouse” CD- in progress
    5. Amendment to bylaws (0701-7d):  Sethiya will send new bylaws amendment to Trey Kinkead for posting on the website- completed
    6. New listserv administrator (0704-7c):  Don Libes started a yahoo group, mcrrc-discuss, which has generated productive discussion about listserv options
    7. Holiday Party (0704-7d): Michele McGleish suggested lower-cost options and is working with the caterer
    8. Massage Therapist at low-key races (0704-7e):  Cathy will put the massage therapist in touch with George Tarrico to work through him to volunteer at low-key races- completed
    9. Club training runs:  Cathy will notify Trey Kinkead to update the website with the updated dates and locations for club runs- completed
    10. Gaithersburg HS track lights (0610-7b): Cathy will try to find someone who would like to take on the role of Tuesday night track coordinator- in progress
    11. Equipment and RMS (0611-7c):  The incoming Board coordinator for club equipment will meet with Phil Quinn to determine a procedure for requesting use of club equipment- tabled pending selection of new coordinators; see New Business
    12. RRCA Eastern Region Championships Bid (0612-7b)  Jean will talk with Mike Acuna about bringing the possibility of a bid to Parks Half Marathon- in progress
    13. Strategic Plan – Increasing participation and volunteerism (0612-8c):  Jim will talk with Christina Caravoulias about the status of the volunteer task list- in progress
    14. Strategic Plan - Compiling/updating governance policies (0612-8b):  Gary will scan the compilation of old club policies by Don Carter when he was club Secretary, from 1987 to 1991, received from John Sissala, to a CD-ROM - in progress
    15. Strategic Plan – Club Program Reports (0703-7a): Cathy, as training program coordinator, will put together the requirements for these reports and will provide this information to the program heads- in progress
    16. Annual Meeting (0703-7b): Chris will put together a brief report about the clubhouse costs and where we are at this point for the Annual Meeting- completed
    17. Proxy Voting at Annual Meetings (0703-7c): Discussion to extend the voting franchise by allowing club members to vote by proxy on bylaw motions at Annual Meetings was tabled until the next meeting- tabled
  1. New Business
    1. RMS (0705-7a)
      1. Discussion on how to fill RMS roles with trained people
      2. ACTION ITEM: Craig will advertise for candidates for RMS staff with notices on website and mcrun.
    2. Board member roles/responsibilities- tabled for discussion between meetings
    3. Volunteer Picnic- June 3, 2007 at Bohrer Park
      1. Discussed responsibilities for the picnic
    4. First Aid packs/CPR and First Aid for summer programs (0705-7d)- in progress
    5. New sound systems (0705-7e)
      1. MOTION:  The board approves the purchase of a new sound system package (Mega Vox Pro Basic Package).  Cathy moves, Chris seconds, unanimous.
  2. Standing Items
    1. Strategic Plan – Clubhouse research/fundraising.
    2. Strategic Plan – Compiling/updating governance policies
    3. Strategic Plan – Increasing participation and volunteerism
  3. Business Between Meetings - none
  4. Announcements – Cathy: Speed Development Program wrapped up a successful season.
  5. Closure
    1. Action Items
      1. Craig will advertise for candidates for RMS staff with notices on website and mcrun.
    2. Motions Passed:
      1. The board approves the purchase of a new sound system package.
    3. Review Plans for Next Meeting
      1. Next meeting is June 7, 2007 at 6:30 pm at the Stella Werner Council Office Bldg, 5th Floor Conference Room, 100 Maryland Ave.  Gary offered to bring food.

Meeting adjourned: 9:08 pm 

Respectfully submitted, 

Your browser may not support display of this image.

Mical Honigfort