Minutes of Board of Directors Meeting
Meeting of November 2, 2006
Called to order: 7:05 pm
Present: Craig Roodenburg (President), Dave Haaga (Vice−President), Sethiya Renwick (Treasurer), Gary Resnick (Secretary), Cathy Blessing (Member at Large), Jim Farkas (Member at Large), Susan Gagnon (Member at Large), Jean Arthur (Member at Large), Chris Richey (Member at Large)
Invited Guests: Kimberly Price (Darcars Young Run)
1. Review Agenda
a) Add to new items “budget rental cars” and “JFK 50-miler”
2. Business Involving Invited Guests
a) Kimberly Price (Darcars Young Run)
i) Kimberly discussed potential dates for 2007 Darcars Halloween Young Run. After some discussion, the date was set for October 21, 2007.
ii) This year’s race had a total registration of 2,714, the second highest in race history. This was attributed to the availability of Saturday late registration. As a result, greater revenue was generated.
iii) Budget is not finalized but in general we did well this year, so more money will be going to various charities, as well as back to the club. Suggestion was to use some of the revenue to fund other running programs for children, such as a weekly youth workout and/or to assist Girls on the Run. The Board was generally in favor of this plan and instructed Kimberly Price to determine where in the community to best put the extra revenue.
iv) There was also further discussion of changing one of the charities for next year (Healthy Families) and to increase next year’s race advertising.
3. Review MCRRC Calendar
Sun 11/19, 9am,
Sat 11/25, 10am,
4. Minutes of the Previous Meeting
a) Motion to accept minutes, Cathy moved, Jean seconded, unanimous
5. Treasurer’s Report
The total cash in
MCRRC accounts, as of October 31 (not including
i) Checking (9223) $60,300.12
ii) Savings (6828) $10,135.80
iii) Savings – Clubhouse (7652) $ 5,845.10
iv) Legg Mason $22,932.15
v) TOTAL Bank Accounts $99,213.17
b) Other Assets (CDs) $39,000.00
c) Parks Half−Marathon (as of September 2006):
i) Checking $20,904.30
ii) Savings $ 2,348.65
iii) TOTAL Bank Accounts $23.252.95
d) Pikes Peek bank accounts (as of September 2006)
i) Checking $3,800.48
ii) TOTAL Bank Accounts $3,800.48
e) DYR bank account (as of September 2006)
i) Checking $ 6,090.27
ii) TOTAL Bank Accounts $ 6,090.27
f) Significant income was received from:
i) Membership dues $2,616.75
ii) Rundown Advertising $2,815.00
g) Significant expenses included:
i) XMP $2,000.00
ii) FTM $3,409.79
iv) Rundown $1,575.04
h) Old Financial Action Items:
i) Sethiya will purchase more CD's – done
ii) 2007 Budget – in process
i) Motion to approve this month’s Treasurer’s Report, Chris moved, Susan seconded, unanimous
6. Unfinished Business
a) Budget 2007 (0609−5h): Sethiya and Craig presented a draft budget and discussed the rationale for next year’s estimates. There was discussion about converting all budget lines to both income and expense items, to improve transparency. While this cannot be done for this year, we will work on this for next year’s budget (showing separate expense and income lines for each budget item).
i) Action Item: Sethiya will talk with Christina Caravoulias about spending on t-shirts and estimates for next year.
ii) Motion: The Board approves dropping the paper version of the Intervals and providing it only on the club web site. Dave moved, Jean seconded, 7 in favor, 1 opposed, 1 absent
b) Request for Running Coach (0608-7a): Instead of an email group Cathy will setup a Yahoo Group – in process.
c) CPR Class (0608-9c): Jean will setup a CPR class for sometime in January, in process
d) Club Clothing (0609−7c): Jean talked with Kelly Scherf at R&J and found that the clothing did not move after the initial orders. They are willing to do one seasonal item with fresh artwork, rather than keeping an inventory. However, R&J will continue to embroider a club logo on any clothing a club member buys. The Board was in agreement on moving to this new procedure, with reduced inventory of club clothing.
i) Action Item: Jean will talk with Kelly Scherf about changing the inventory to consist of one seasonal item with club logo’s.
e) 2007 Race Schedule (0609−7d): The Board discussed the draft schedule presented by George Tarrico.
i) Action Item: As Board coordinator for club races, Dave will make changes to the schedule based on Board member feedback and then send it to George who will verify the changes with the race directors.
f) Conflict of interest policy (0610-7a): The Board approved adoption of the conflict of interest policy from the National Council of Non-Profit Associations, requiring all Board members to sign the form at the next Board meeting.
i) Action Item: Craig will email the consent form to Jean, who will make copies and bring to the next Board meeting for Board members to sign.
planning—member survey (0610-8a): Board members will give suggestions to
h) Gaithersburg HS track lights (0610-7b): Jean has not yet talked with Alan Roth about the history of the arrangement for the lights at Gaithersburg HS. Cathy talked with Tom Brennan and he is not in favor of moving the speed development workout to Wooten HS.
i) Action Item: Jean will talk with Alan Roth about the past arrangements for the track lights at Gaithersburg HS in order to decide what we do for this year.
i) Cone Top Arrows and Mile Markers (0610-7c): Craig ordered cone-top arrows for a good price, and plans to spend the remaining funds on mile markers.
j) RMS (0610-7d): Chris will talk with Phil about how the Board can support Phil and the RMS work [see new business item #7c]
7. New Business
a) Budget Rental Truck (Mary): Mary reported on problems with the truck rentals, such as trucks not being available on race day when they were reserved in advance. Discussion involved whether to switch companies since these problems have been ongoing and attempts at resolving the problems through discussion with the current company have been unsuccessful. The Board instructed Mary to start looking for alternative companies.
b) JFK 50-Miler: Cathy reported that we have approximately 80 club members registered for this race. Don Libes is interested in putting on an aid station or support team for club members during the race, and Cathy asked if the club could reimburse his expense and use a club banner for the station.
i) Motion: The Board authorizes Don Libes to spend up to $80 for refreshments at the JFK 50-miler, for use by club members. Cathy moves, Jean seconds. Unanimous.
c) Equipment loaning and RMS policies [merge with unfinished business item x above]. There was discussion of the need to have depth in terms of personnel leading the RMS activities, that is, to develop a succession policy. Also discussed is the need to report for tax purposes payment to RMS staff (for those earning above a minimum amount for the year). Another issue is the loaning of equipment and there have been problems with equipment not being available when needed because others have already checked it out. Additionally, the Board considered that the RMS director is the one who should know about club equipment and should be in charge of such equipment being loaned out.
i) Motion: The Board authorizes donation of scaffolding, truss and cones to the American Running Association’s Blue and Grey race. Cathy moved. There was no second. The motion fails for lack of a second.
ii) Motion: The Board authorizes that the RMS director will coordinate the use of all club equipment and that any requests for use of club equipment must go through the RMS director. Chris moves, Jim seconds. Unanimous.
iii) Action Item: Chris and Susan will meet with Phil Quinn to determine a procedure for requesting use of club equipment. They will bring the new procedure to the Board for approval.
d) 2007 Stride Clinic dates: Gary checked the proposed clinic dates for 2007 and noted a conflict for Dec. 1 with Frozen Slopes. The Board suggested only that as long as the coaches who run cross-country are okay with the date, then we will leave the date as is.
e) USATF sanctioning of club races 2007 [see unfinished business 6. b. v. and discussed in conjunction]: Dave received a reminder from Nancy Betress about sanctioning MCRRC races such as Pike’s Peak since there is prize money involved and it may draw runners to set records. Dave investigated the sanctioning process and found that it is complicated, costly and involves more time for the RD. The Board agreed that we should drop the issue, other than just alerting the Pike’s Peak RD of the possibilities.
f) Web-based club calendar proposal from Don Libes: Don would like to see an easy to read calendar on the web site that shows all club events.
i) Action Item: Jim, in charge of club communication, will talk with Don about setting up a calendar on the club’s web site that summarizes all club activities each month.
Jim gave an update on the Run Aware committee activities. The Rock Creek boards have been updated
with Run Aware messages, and flyers were put in packets at the
8. Standing Items
a) Strategic plan -- Clubhouse research/fundraising
b) Strategic plan -- Compiling/updating governance policies
c) Strategic plan – increasing participation and volunteerism
9. Business Between Meetings - None
10. Announcements - None
a) Action Items
i) Budget 2007: Sethiya will talk with Christina Caravoulias about spending on t-shirts and estimates for next year.
ii) Request for Running Coach: Cathy will set up a Yahoo Group for club coaches
iii) CPR Class: Jean will arrange for a class sometime in January
iv) Club Clothing: Jean will talk with Kelly Scherf about changing the inventory to consist of one seasonal item with club logo’s
v) 2007 Race Schedule: As Board coordinator for club races, Dave will make changes to the schedule based on Board member feedback and then send it to George Tarrico who will verify the changes with the race directors
vi) Gaithersburg HS track lights: Jean will talk with Alan Roth about the history of the arrangement for the lights at Gaithersburg HS
vii) Conflict of Interest Policy: Craig will email the consent form to Jean, who will make copies and bring to the next Board meeting for Board members to sign.
Planning – Member Survey: Board members will give suggestions to
ix) Equipment and RMS: Chris and Susan will meet with Phil Quinn to determine a procedure for requesting use of club equipment. They will bring the new procedure to the Board for approval.
x) Web-based club calendar: Jim, Board coordinator for club communication, will talk with Don Libes about setting up a calendar on the club’s web site that summarizes all club activities each month
b) Motions Passed (including motions by acclamation)
i) Budget: The Board approves dropping the paper version of the Intervals and providing it only on the club web site.
ii) JFK 50-Miler: The Board authorizes Don Libes to spend up to $80 for refreshments at the JFK 50-miler, for use by club members.
iii) Equipment and RMS: The Board authorizes that the RMS director will coordinate the use of all club equipment and that any requests for use of club equipment must go through the RMS director.
c) Review Plans for Next Meeting:
Next meeting is
December 7, 2006 at 6:30 pm, at the Stella Werner Council Office Bldg, 5th
Floor Conference Room,
Meeting Adjourned: 10:25 pm