Registration is OPEN!
Goals and Purpose of Program:
This is a great program for individuals who are new to running and would like to target a summer or fall race of 8K up to 10K. If you enjoy training in a structured environment, have already completed a 5K and are looking for a new challenge, this is the program for you.
This program is also applicable for experienced racers who are looking to maintain their fitness. We will focus on improving endurance, running education and training with a goal of safety first and getting to the starting line of your target race. All paces are welcome; however, this program tends to be more moderate in pace. Similar to other MCRRC programs, we emphasize a supportive and fun environment.
Prerequisites: You must be an MCRRC member to participate in this program. Participants must be at least 18 years of age.
Cost/Premium Info: The program is $50 and includes a premium for participants.
The fee for this training program is modest. Program costs are kept low due to the volunteer nature of the club’s activities. It is expected that each participant volunteer for at least one club race or event.
Dates: May 13, 2020 – August 15, 2020
Target Race: Eastern County 8K on August 15, 2020 at 7:30 AM
Weekly Workout Information:
Wednesdays @ 7:00 PM, Montgomery College, Rockville Campus – please note that this location is still pending permission & is subject to change
Sundays @ 7:00 AM, Various Locations
You are expected to workout two other times during the week on your own in order to meet the weekly goals. We will provide you with a monthly schedule, which gives weekly goals and outlines the group workouts.
Group runs will only be canceled in the event of dangerous conditions, e.g. lightning.
- The first long run will be 3 or 5 miles (depending on the participant’s mileage base), and all participants should be able to run continuously for 3 miles at the beginning of the program.
- The first long walk will be approximately 60 minutes. Each walking participant should have a weekly walk time base of approximately an hour a week (2-3 20-minute walks a week) and be able to walk at least 30 minutes continuously.
Orientation will be held before our first workout – come ready to run/ walk on orientation day!
Date/Time: Wednesday, May 13, 2020; 6:30 PM
Location: Montgomery College – Room TBD
Head Coach/Director: Sandra Engstrom
Pace Group Information:
Runners will be initially placed in pace groups based on a recent 5K to 10K race time. Final pace group placement will be done after the first track and long run workouts.
Participants will be divided into two groups, based on their mileage base at the beginning of the program:
- The White Program will be for individuals with a mileage base of 9 to 14 miles per week who can comfortably run at least 3 miles continuously at the start of the program and training for 8K or shorter distance. Their first long run will be 3 miles and will gradually increase to 8 miles.
- The Blue Program will be for individuals with a mileage base of 15 or more miles per week who can comfortably run at least 5 miles continuously at the start of the program and training for an 8K or longer. Their first long run will be 5 miles and will gradually increase to 10 miles.
- The Walking Program will be for individuals able to walk at a brisk pace for 30 minutes or more and can comfortably walk up to an hour at the start of the program.
Communication Methods: We will use a private, online group to facilitate communications. Everyone will be required to join this group to participate in the program. Instructions on how to join this group will be provided by the Program Director.Participants are also encouraged to join MCRRC-info , the club’s listserv for delivering important club information including race announcements or changes, track closures due to weather or other issues, etc. When joining any of the Yahoo groups, please include your first and last name in the “comment from user” field so that your membership to the group can be verified.
Volunteer Requirement: MCRRC is a volunteer organization. The staff for this and all other training programs as well as that of all the races we conduct are volunteers. To support the club, participants in this program will be asked to volunteer for at least one, if not more, club races or events.
Disclaimer: The program director reserves the right in his sole discretion to refuse admission to the program or dismiss any individual from the program whom the program director believes is unsuited for running the specified distance, or is unable to meet the demands of the training schedule, or is disruptive to other program participants. Those individuals will be denied entry into the program or dismissed from the program as appropriate. The program director also reserves the right to limit the number of participants in the overall program or in individual pace groups. MCRRC has a No Refund policy. Program registration fees cannot be refunded due to injury, schedule conflict or any other reason.