The MCRRC Green Team is a group of MCRRC members with a goal to minimize the waste and carbon footprint generated by MCRRC events.
Donating Used Sneakers
If you can’t wait for our Club shoe drives at Pike’s Peek or Parks Half-Marathon, you can visit many of the local running stores to donate used, but not abused, sneakers. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do we want to do?
- Identify and provide services to help make races more eco-friendly.
- Reduce pollution and waste, conserve our resources, and preserve our environment for future generations of runners.
How do we want to achieve our goals?
- Encourage public transportation or carpooling for events
- Use eco-friendly printing
- Use more environmentally-friendly race premiums
- Use organic t-shirts, race bags, and foods
- Support online registration for races
- Use recycled/biodegradable cups and port-o-potty supplies
- Use clean solar power for races
- Offer carbon offsets to participants
- Donate surplus food from races to local food pantries
- Organize food waste collection for composting
- Organize running shoe donation drives
- Use permanent reusable signage for events
- Implement on-site race recycling and waste removal for all races
- Organize clothing and shoe recycling drives
How can you help?
- Volunteer your time, energy, and ideas
- Look for our booth at the next club race
- Use the recycle bins at the race
- Check back for updates on how you can help in upcoming events
- Email us at email@example.com
- Runners World: Green Running
- Running Times Magazine: Going Green
- Montgomery County Division of Solid Waste Services (contains list of how to recycle plastic bottles, containers, tubs and lids in county)